Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Tim Woodall[_2_] Tim Woodall[_2_] is offline

Default BoJo a million miles out of his depth

On 2019-09-08, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
The Irish problem is entirely fabricated by the EU / Ireland. At no
point has the UK suggested a hard border. It is Ireland which is
building border check points, not the UK.

OK then. EU workers have free movement to Eire. With no border controls,
they can take a bus to Ulster, and onwards to the UK. Unless we have
controls between Ulster and the mainland. Unacceptable to the DUP.

But haven't we discussed this before - and we realised that travel
between NI and GB already normally requires the production of some
acceptable form of ID - albeit usually not officially for the purposes
of border control?

Currently Ireland isn't in Schengen, so while EU citizens are free to
travel there, most migrants aren't - hence the focus of getting into the
UK via Calais.

But based on Irelands declaration in the Amsterdam treaty, it seems
reasonable to assume that Ireland isn't in Schengen to protect the CTA.
If the UK tears that up then Ireland might join Schengen. Which could
make things interesting...