Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq[_2_] Archibald Tarquin  Blenkinsopp Esq[_2_] is offline

Default BoJo a million miles out of his depth

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 14:18:04 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Archibald
Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq writes
On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 13:42:47 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
The Irish problem is entirely fabricated by the EU / Ireland. At no
point has the UK suggested a hard border. It is Ireland which is
building border check points, not the UK.

OK then. EU workers have free movement to Eire. With no border controls,
they can take a bus to Ulster, and onwards to the UK. Unless we have
controls between Ulster and the mainland. Unacceptable to the DUP.

But haven't we discussed this before - and we realised that travel
between NI and GB already normally requires the production of some
acceptable form of ID - albeit usually not officially for the purposes
of border control?

But it doesn't.

The only time I,m asked for ID is when flying. Car or as a foot
passenger, it doesn't matter, I have never ever been asked for ID at
any port or in either direction.

Well, you're the expert. I've heard several times that checks are made -
even if it's only to check the passenger list so they'll know if you've
fallen overboard en route.

I can understand that, although formal ID would no doubt be optional.
People can find it hard establishing their "sea legs" when on any of
the UK/ Irish ferries. They even have trouble in port and although the
duty free has long since gone, the downing of a bottle of Jamesons or
similar from the sales outlet isn't uncommon.

People going overboard isn't unknown in such circumstances and if you
saw some of the trippers,you would see that legless is a group
requirement.

AB