Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which boiler to buy, reliable - nowt fancy....

In article ,
Robin wrote:
The Which? survey of just the odd 10,000 owners of boilers found
Viessmann the most reliable brand.

I wasn't looking for a short term fix since I've no intention of moving
house.

So went for a Viessmann. Self install - replacing a BF BE Potterton which
was about 25 years old. The old boiler still working OK, but a good time
to update when doing other works. It's a medium sized Victorian house, so
fairly high heating costs. Which means a more efficient boiler might
recover its cost sooner than in more modern houses.

I got a much better deal on the boiler via Ebay than from my local
Viessmann dealer. About 25% cheaper, and free delivery.

The Viessmann help line was very good for any queries I had with my self
install, and with setting up the software for the weather compensation I
opted for. (New versions should be easier)

Only had the one problem with it - after about 10 years use. There is a
rubber hose between the heat exchanger and copper pipe which failed.
Subsequent leak took out the gas valve electrics. And blew a fuse on the
PCB - a solder job to replace. The hose appeared to be silicone rubber, so
likely not a common failure. Such hoses on car rads can do the life of the
car.

Interestingly, the supplied manual didn't show this hose. The copper pipe
going direct to the heat exchanger in that. I'd guess it was added to
further improve NVH. It is a pretty quiet device.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.