Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toshiba Netbook NB200

On Saturday, 7 September 2019 11:44:00 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 01:38:51 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

The bottom line ... if you want / need to run a Windows app, run
Windows. ;-)

'ang on.

.. To what you've got ...

One does not often need to use wine at all. If you do it usually works ok.

Ok, that's *your* experience or the experience of all those who try to
use it but find they can't.

And I think it comes down to what you consider to be 'running ok'?

Here is the top Platinum game running under WINE:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...823&sAllBug s

You might consider that 'fine', I don't.

Pan is a reasonable copy of Agent but no cigar. There isn't really a
Linux replacement for Irfanview and the list really does go on (and
that's without touching games).

funny!

Fact.

Gimp does what Irfan does & way more.

Yeah, like Photoshop does more than GIMP and they are both *way* more
complicated than Irfanview for the basic things most people want to do
(resize, rotate, re-rez etc), which was the point you missed. It's not
always about what the app / OS can do, but how easy people find it to
do the things *they* (not you) want.

Linux is not currently a games oriented OS.

And with the failure of the 'Steam Engine', unlikely to ever be.

There's steam, but if you're a hardcore gamer, either dual boot

Depending if you have a reason to be in Linux in the first place you
mean?

or find soething useful to do with life.

Typical Linux fanboy response. If it doesn't work on Linux you don't
want / need it ... and why Linux hasn't replaced Windows, even though
it has had several chances.

The likes of Mint (and Ubuntu before the Unity debacle) have made
(miniscule) inroads into the Windows userbase because they look and
feel very familiar to Windows users. Every new release comes with more
GUI applets looking more and more like the Windows control panel and
minimising the need for the user to enter the CLI, just to do
something 'simple'. They often CGAS if it was Linux, Windows or OSX
under the DE, as long as it works and they can work it.

Slowly but surely (but still too slowly) Mint (for example) is looking
and working (from the user POV) more like what Windows has been for 25
years.

But the point of 100s of distros is this: if one doesn't work, just stick another disc/distro in.

But whilst there are 'hundreds of distros', they are mainly based on
just a few main distros, like Debian, Red Hat, Suse, Slackware and
Gentoo etc. All the rest are really respins of the GNU bit, still
sharing the base kernel.

There's not much point mucking about with them these days.

See above.

overthinking/misleading. Just use another disc & it usually works fine.

BS. What you aren't doing is 'thinking enough' about what you are
saying (classic Linux fanboy denial, when it suits).

I can say that because I've been there and done it. I have downloaded
and burnt *hundreds* of Linux CD's (and USB sticks) and carry a
Multiboot Linux pendrive in my pocket all the time. I *know* that if a
respin has the same kernel and if that kernel has an issue with some
hardware than all of them will fail equally, irrespective of what the
respin happens to be called.

If you have a really low spec machine then things like Puppy would
often run ok but then they are a bit 'weird' and further away from the
simple Windows experience many are used to.

Last time I used Puppy & similar (on a 433 IIRC), they were simple windows-like experience.

Because it has a GUI you mean, that's about as close to a 'Windows
-like' experience as it gets. It's funny, everyone but you accepts
that Puppy, whilst very good on low spec machines is far from
'conventional', even for Linux.

You don't need minimal distros for 1G & 1.66GHz, so it's immaterial.

I know, it was an example, that's what the 'if' meant in my statement.

When visiting EVERY Linux machine I have provided to others, there
will be Windows apps in the download folder because most users who
would actually benefit from the durability of Linux, don't understand
how it's not Windows and why they can't do what the do on Windows.

newbs do that sometimes.

Some will do that continuously, in the same way they will repeat the
same step over and over in the hope that it will eventually work.

Better to use apps from the repository that do the same job.

Of course, if there is such a thing but there often isn't.

Part of why it's 'durable' is it becomes more of an appliance,
discouraging the users from fiddling with the systems and causing
'finger trouble'.

there's seldom any need

I know, I was talking about the user, not the OS.

You fanboys are such hard work aren't you. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

just not worth replying to is it.