Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Which boiler to buy, reliable - nowt fancy....

In message , R D S writes
On 07/09/2019 14:00, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/09/2019 13:47, R D S wrote:
Our electric bills at work were sky high last year with electric
heaters plugged in around the place, and we've no hot water without
boiling kettles so...

Which boiler would you buy? Something 20odd KW, no bells and whistles.

How long do you expect to be there?
If the answer is less than 5 years, then go for whatever is cheap /
on offer. For something longer term, then one of the more
recognisable brands like WB, Vaillant etc. Unless you are fitting it
yourself, it might just come down to whatever the proffered offering
of the installer it.

I'll fit it and should the need arise fix it myself.

Are the better brands worth it in this scenario? I don't want something
breaking down all the time but don't need it bombproof.

I might be pushing luck but I've had nearly 25 years out of 2 sub £500
boilers at home without too much bother.
(A Savio and a Biasi Riva)

I have a *young* Potterton precision boiler, done about 3 years work now
sat on a pallet, looking for a home.

Yours for fetching (Herts.) plus filter and new flue.

--
Tim Lamb