Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Toshiba Netbook NB200

On 06/09/2019 13:32, Graeme wrote:

I have one of the above which was often useful, but now lives in a
cupboard because it runs XP Home, which is no longer 'secure', and
cannot be upgraded to W7 or above.

snip

A waste of time?

Perhaps a fun thing would be to put an x86 build of Android on it

However, It is not going to be great (windows or linux) for any general
purpose use, given that web sites are laden with lots of scripting that
will choke the CPU, never mind about playing back active content and videos.

Also the battery will be on the way out.

What it will be great at though, is dedication to a fixed task. It has
low mains power requirements, so can be left on 24/7.

So loads of tasks, but when I started making a short list, e.g.

CCTV, file server, private cloud, VPN endpoint, weather station,
thin client ..

I realised that they are in the geek-o-sphere that normally would be
satisfied by a raspberry-pi.

So think of it as a raspberry-pi with an attached screen, and chase one
of those projects for interest sake...

Or, place it very slowly and carefully in the bin.

--
Adrian C