Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen G. Holder[_2_] Arlen G. Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that just wouldn't seal after the final bead?

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 14:22:16 +1000, Xeno wrote:

Given I spent years on the tools, I don't see flipping tyres on the rim
as either fun or convenient, especially since I'm on the wrong side of
65. I'm happy to just replace the tyres earlier than usual.

Hi Xeno,

You were instrumental in explaining the "camber scrub" issue, which your
experience enabled you to recognize, even as there is almost noting on the
web that is specific to the type of wear that a mountain road causes.

You were able to do that because of the KNOWLEDGE you learned over those
years, where, for me, simply learning stuff is fun.

Also, for me, the feeling of sheer POWER is exhilarating, that I can do
some of the jobs at home that almost nobody does at home, usually because
they're afraid (e.g., winding garage door springs or installing coiled
struts) or because they're simply unable to learn details (as in the case
of trader_4), or because they don't want to get their hands dirty, etc.

What I LOVE about automotive repair is a whole bunch of things, all of
which take effort to accomplish, but once accomplished, you always have,
such as the KNOWLEDGE of how to do the job right, and the SATISFACTION of
doing it right, and the CONVENIENCE of doing it when you feel like it, and
the SAFETY of knowing it's done right and the EFFICIENCY of doing it at the
lowest possible cost (saving about $5,000 dollars in a 50-year worktime)
and, as I mentioned, also being good for the ENVIRONMENT (adding an extra
few thousand miles to tire wear should help the environment).

As for flipping tires on the rim, I would agree that most people don't NEED
to do it; but for our particular mountain road situation, you, of all
people, can at least comprehend the viability of being able to do so is a
nice thing to have under our belts, particularly if you're like me who
likes to get as many miles out of a set of rubber as is possible.
https://i.postimg.cc/0NGXktgp/mount59.jpg

Of all people on this ng, you and Clare are just about the main ones who
KNOW how this business works - even down to diagnosing the specific problem
we had with diagnosing the highly unusual wear patters we've been
experiencing, where this
https://i.postimg.cc/zvvyL2tq/mount24.jpg
soon turns into this
https://i.postimg.cc/63Kc80x9/mount29.jpg
And then, eventually, into this:
https://i.postimg.cc/Hx2Fw0dK/mount03.jpg

Where, you have to admit, flipping the tires on the rim is one of a few
amelioration techniques (along with lessening front positive caster).