Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Can a flooded alternator stop a car from running immediately

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 09:03:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/5/2019 8:34 AM, Wade Gattett wrote:
On 9/4/19 3:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/4/2019 2:15 PM, micky wrote:
My brother lives on a barrier island** and 3 or 4 times a year, there is
a king tide that floods not only the beach but the main north/south
street.* In many parts of the island, there are no parallel streets with
which to bypass the flooded one (and come to think, all of them would be
flooded too.)

One time years ago he tried to drive through and his recollection is
that the car stalled right away and wouldn't start, and the shop said he
needed a new alternator, and after they replaced that things worked.

Shouldn't the battery have been enough to power the car for a day or so?

Or is it possible with salt-water to short the alternator so that the
battery won't run the car at all?

**Hollywood, Florida.** My brother is no liberal, probably a
conservative, but he says that he's seen global warming first hand.* I
don't think the street flooded at all the first years they lived there,
certainly not as often.

Had an alternator go out and I got just a couple of miles.* If you
know is dies you can shut down the heater blower and stuff but not the
fuel pump, lights, computer.
If the alternator is the only problem, he got lucky.* I know of a guy
in Orlando that* water locked the engine on his 3 week old 50k Genesis.

I looked at a Genesis- not a bad car overall.

But couldn't bring myself to shell out $50 for a "luxury car" with a
Hyundai badge on the back...

They took the H off a few years ago. I'm on my second one and love it.
Used to laugh at people buying Hyundai until I drove one in 2006. I've
had a few Sonata, a 2015 Genesis and now a G80. Great car and a super
value. Far superior in quality to any GM, VW, or Mercedes I ever had.

+1++++
Same goes for it's sister brand KIA.
They are really up there with Toyota and Honda on quality - and have
them beat on features and style.