Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Testing Motor on GE Washer WHRE5550KWW... Mfr 2009

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 4 Sep 2019 18:12:12 -0700 (PDT), WGUV
wrote:

Thanks micky. I just realized 40 years ago was 1979.... 40 years seemed a lot longer in the old days.

Below was my comment at the ge site. This model would have been first class if they had given it a good testing before throwing out on the market.

GEŽ 4.1 IEC Cu. Ft. Colossal Capacity High-Efficiency Washer | WHRE5550KWW | GE Appliances

https://products.geappliances.com/ap...cs/WHRE5550KWW

This model was manufactured 2009-2010. Due to age, you may want to considering a replacement. See All GE Washers:...

Ge should have said this 8 years ago. Terrible washer from day 1.

Rated 1.8 our of 5 with 54 feedback comments

35 out of 50 rates 1. That tells the story. GE misunderstood the purpose of a washer is to clean clothes first, water saving later. Only way to be sure clothes are clean.... Wash small loads and set for max load. Add dertegent, one cup of white distilled vinegar and 1/2 cup of baking soda and works fine. BUT... normal cotton sleeves and thin clothes come out twisted in knots... this does not happen with older ge machines. So much lint with no screen filter, have to clean dryer filter several times per 30 min cycle or it takes an hour to dry. Spinning 700 rpm is much too fast... Leaves permanent creases in clothes.

I wonder how fast mine goes. 700 is almost 12rp/second. Hard to
believe any washer can do that. It might fly away. I would guess mine
is about 3 or 4 rps / 180 to 240 rpm.

Pump speed too fast for 1.5 in drains typical in 1960-70s tract homes.... required modifying standpipe so that pipe would overflow horizontally to outside and not backup in washer.

I have a laundry sink so that is not an issue, but may people don't,
especially I think the ones with laundry rooms on the 2nd floor.

I have troubleshot nearly every component and circuit... No problem with quality of hardware or basic design. Need real people not programmers to use the products and modify so it works
properly. I am not a pro, just a guy who is very happy that the motor that finally failed after 10 years costs $200... so i can get a better machine and have clean clothes again. Will sell good parts, circuit boards, etc on ebay since most are very expensive.