Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_5_] Norman Wells[_5_] is offline

Default BoJo a million miles out of his depth

On 04/09/2019 10:42, NY wrote:
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
On 04/09/2019 08:59, Spike wrote:

We're about to see Cole's Comrade Corbyn not support a Parliamentary
vote for the General Election he's been screaming for for so long. It's
quite the spectacle to see the real Jeremy Corbyn exposed and crushed.

It is a bit weak and watery, isn't it?Â* Oh yes, we want an election,
we're ready, bring it on.Â* Oh, you mean *now*?Â* Well, we didn't mean
that exactly, er, obviously.Â* We're not doing too well in the polls,
and weren't expecting one for quite a time yet, and we're not really
ready. Yes, of course we'll do whatever it takes to rid the country of
this dangerous government as soon as possible.Â* It's absolutely
necessary. We're the next government and can't wait to lead the
country as it should be led.

I think Corbyn is hoping that he will become PM by default if there is a
vote of no confidence in Boris and the government. That way he won't
have to face a general election for some time - maybe until the current
fixed term expires.

It doesn't work like that. If there's a vote of no confidence, and that
passes, there has to be another vote within 14 days reversing that or
there has to be a general election. Boris would be under no obligation
to resign after the first vote. He's fully entitled to stay on and try
to get it reversed. And while there's no vacancy as Prime Minister,
no-one else can be appointed.

It's pie-in-the-sky to think Corbyn could become Prime Minister by
default, even if all the opposition parties and the Tory rebels united
behind him, which of course they won't.

To my mind, this concept of the *opposition* leader being made the
caretaker PM is utterly abhorrent. He and the Labour party came
*second*, so they should never have any chance of becoming PM/government
- except through a general election. I'd like to see a vote of no
confidence trigger an automatic general election, once the present
government has done what it can to win back parliament's confidence, and
failed to do so.

But a vote of no confidence would have to be triggered by Labour, and
they've backed away from that this week because they really, really
don't want a general election in which they would lose a lot of seats.
That's the reason they've decided rather pathetically for an opposition
not even to support a call for an early general election. Whatever
their excuses, they're actually running scared.

I'm waiting to see how long Corbyn lasts, and how long it takes the
Labour party to realise that the only way for them to win a general
election is to replace him with a more right-wing, Blair-like leader
with matching policies.

With the £3 Trots in control of who is leader, he's likely to be in post
for some considerable time, for good or bad.