Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton[_2_] Mathew Newton[_2_] is offline

Default How to DIY "My own website"

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 9:02:15 AM UTC+1, RJH wrote:

I'd be happy to host it (for free) alongside my own site (www.newtonnet..co.uk) that covers a previous house renovation of mine. Whilst it only sits on a server in my house [...]

As an aside, what do you use to 'store' that site - a NAS?

It actually sits on my 'main' desktop PC (well, a Dell T20 so more of a home/small-office server really) that I use every day and hosts various other services e.g. mail server, CCTV hub etc. If it wasn't for these other tasks then a Raspberry Pi or suitable NAS would almost certainly suffice.

And editing software - looks simple/effective :-)

:-) Like many I started out with Frontpage then when I moved over to Linux used things like nvu and kompozer but now I just use a text editor which is perfectly doable for such a simple site structure. New content is limited these days though as my current house project (and 2yr old toddler) take up most of my free time!

Thinking of doing the same myself, so long as the learning curve isn't
too steep . . .

There will always be some gradient to the curve but it should be perfectly climbable given the amount of guides/HowTos out there on setting something like a Pi up with a web server. Search for 'raspberry pi web server' and there'll be loads of hits with most being variations of the same theme.

I'd definitely recommend it - I've given a few people of all backgrounds a bit of a helping hand with their own Pi's and have seen how much of a kick they have got setting something up that they (and others) can access over the Internet. Having a goal, such as a web server to host a few pages about their hobby, has been really helpful in giving something specific to aim for.