Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Mortarfied

On 01/09/2019 11:09, Andrew wrote:
On 31/08/2019 17:36, Bert Coules wrote:
George Miles wrote:

In 10 years time when the wall is demolished
it will be harder to recycle the mix of glue and brick.

That doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Did you wet the bricks and wall before cementing?

I did.

I thought bricks should always be kept dry ?. The brick
sucks moisture out of the mortar and causes the stiction effect.

If the brick is wet, water contaminated with mortar runs down
the face and stains it.

Did you use small amounts of readymix from B&Q, travis etc?

I used Hansen "Sand Cement Mortar" (to quote the bag) which I think
came from Wickes.Â* According to the label, "A portion of the cement...
has been replaced with Regen ground granulated blast furnace slag".
I've no idea why, or what effect, if any, that will have had on its
effectiveness.

Wickes plasticiser is dirt cheap, or was the last time I bought some.

so is squeezy...