Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Definition of "free"

On 30/08/2019 14:08, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 29 August 2019 22:31:09 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 29/08/2019 07:22, soup wrote:
On 29/08/2019 05:48, alan_m wrote:

Turn up with two men and a lorry to pick up something given away for
free and weighing a couple of hundred weight which then is put into
the hands of a professional interior designer and his mates to
transform the rubbish into crap.

Get something for free in Essex and transport it to Glasgow! [1] Again
passing through the hands of designers who seem to have been down to
the local shed to obtain £30 worth of wood/ply.

It would probably been cheaper for the program makers to have visited
a local furnishing store and purchased everything new.

Something similar happens with a programme called "wheeler dealers"
where they buy a car for X and sell it for y (after repairing it/'doing
it up').Â* Profit is y-x.

Â*What they tend not to allow for is that they have master mechanics
(who know what they are doing, an entire research team finding where to
get the parts that the mechanic just happens to know are needed) on hand
and a fully equipped work shop. Say £450 an hour for a week or so, soon
eats any profit they have 'made'.

To be fair to WD, they did explain that the older programmes (and even
large parts of some of the later ones) were based on the idea that a
competent home mechanic could do most of what Edd does at home.

I can;t think of many homes that have a winch and car ramp or can hire some of the things they have in their garage anytime they need it day or not and have the space to do it. he also always has someone around to help hol;d or carry something, maybe that;s why people have kids, as I was had to hold the ends of blanks of wood while my dad sawed the other end off.

Some car enthusiasts do have fully equipped workshops, but for the rest
of us, a combination of pairs of ramps, trolley jacks, axle stands,
chainblocks off the garage roof and various homemade "special" tools
generally get the job done, albeit slower, harder and more uncomfortable.

Pressing bushes in with a vice or sockets and screwed rod rather than a
hydraulic press.

Lots of similar things.

But in one case they needed a plastic bit for a ford capri sunroof which they couldn't get anywhere so they had it designed by someone who did a 3D printer replacement for around £100, but I don't think that included the desiners time in doing it, or teh time it took to find him, take the old part and then return to collect the replacement of cours eit could have been posted.

Many people can download the software and do the design themselves or
know a friend who can. Their own time for designing and transporting is
again "free" and there are plenty of places online where you can upload
your design for printing and dispatch. Although, yes, this would be
beyond many people and they'd have to pay for it all.

SteveW