Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Johnson[_4_] Peter Johnson[_4_] is offline

Default Gladstone Brookes...

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 22:17:14 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Brian Gaff formulated the question :
There will always be a new thing to plug. In a way the claims guys et al, are
not really bad, they just fill a need since people don't have time to do it
themselves.

They try hard to convince people that they are the only way, whereas
you can quite easily do it all for your self. Not far removed from the
companies who charge you to make passport/ visa applications and
vehicle tax applications etc.. Easier to do it all your self.

A few years ago I received a letter from a solicitor in Manchester
offering to act for me to get my house re-banded for Council Tax,
saying that they'd noticed that another house in the street had been
rebanded. A bit of ferreting around on the Valuation Office Agency
website and a phone call got my house rebanded and secured me a refund
of just over £3,000. If I'd allowed the solicitors to do it they would
have taken a quarter of the refund