Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help to kill file with Mozilla Thunderbird please

On 29/08/19 11:22, Broadback wrote:
I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

You need to set up a message filter. I use Linux, and I can find
"Message Filters" under "Tools"; I see you use Windows, so it might be
under something else.

Firstly, click on the message of the poster you want to killfile. Then
press "Ctrl-U" (the control and U keys at the same time). This will
display the source information for that post. For example, the first few
lines of yours shows:

From: Broadback
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

The "From" field is what you are after. Open "Message Filters". It
should show "Filters for uk.d-i-y. Click on "New". Give the new filter a
name (maybe the poster's name). The "Apply filter when" should have
"Manually run" and "Getting new mail" checked. Then change the radio
button to "Match any of the following". Next go to the drop down field
which shows "Subject", and change it to "From". Next check the options
shown for "contains". You may want to change it to something else.
Suppose your poster always uses xxxjohnxxxxx as his posting name , where
xxx can be anything or any length, but "john" always appears. So all you
need is "contains" and type "john" (without the quote marks!) in the
field. But beware! this will kill all messages from anyone where "john"
appears in their "from" info. You can change it to something else more
specific (for example, "Match all of the following").

You can add another condition by clicking on the "+" at the end of the
row. Maybe your poster always starts his subject with "load of rubbish",
so you can use that as a "Subject" "contains" condition.

You can then choose what to do if the condition(s) are met, by
completing the "Perform these actions" requirements. That's all there
is to it; don't forget to check that the filter has been enabled.

Remember, though, that these annoying posters often change their names
("nym shifting"), so you will need to review the filter conditions
regularly.

--

Jeff