Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default London Congestion Charge

On 25/08/2019 19:15, Robin wrote:
On 25/08/2019 17:53, misterroy wrote:
Idly musing about life at work the other day, electric cars came up,
and their range. We struck upon a solution. A trailer. A trailer with
a diesel generator on it, the electricity going back to the car. Could
we run it on red diesel, and not have to pay the congestion charge?

I think you'd face the argument that the red diesel is in breach of the
requirement[1] that it not be used "as fuel for a road vehicle" (subject
to the exceptions for tractors etc).Â* It is after all just an
articulated diesel-electric.

[1] s.12 Hydrocarbon Oil Duties Act 1979

Would that apply if you drove on electric only, parked, started the
generator and left it charging the battery for the journey home?

SteveW