Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Bandsaw - (NEW new)

"David Billington" wrote in message
On 26/08/2019 23:07, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Reminds me of being at evening class at Wichita vo-tech college in
the early 1980s, a few occasions I had to use a hacksaw to cut
through large aluminium sections as it was quicker than doing it
with the horizontal band saw as someone during the day regularly
blunted the teeth on the blade and it would just skate over the top.
One time the instructor heard the maintenance team were going to
paint the lathes so popped in before they had done much and found
them starting to paint the whole lathe, ways and all, he put a stop
to that fortunately.

That nearly describes my South Bend lathe, which came from a trade
school in which the shop instructor allegedly spent the yearly
maintenance budget on a little school-color paint and a lot of
whiskey.

Fortunately the eagerly but unwisely applied paint popped loose off
after coating the parts with Zip Strip and placing them in plastic
bags.

Mostly it was still in good shape, except the tailstock spindle that
someone mistook for an anvil horn. The dealer gave me another spindle
which sorta fits right as long as it isn't extended too far.