Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Kitchen unit fitting sequence - base then wall cupboards?

On 25/08/2019 09:40, John wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in
:

On 24/08/2019 16:45, John wrote:

I wasn't suggesting supporting a ton on one screw, I was just
pointing out that big screws are unnecessary. It is of course
necessary to ensure that the screw is soundly fixed in the wall
which, I find, doesn't depend much on the size of the screw.
*Longer* screws often help but *fatter* screws are not a lot of
help.

I always think the older type screws were better as the root of the
thread was tapered. Modern screws are parallel therefore they don,t
wedge tighter as they are driven in - they also tend to cut into the
plug rather than force it open.

That would be why you don't use self cutting screws with plugs.

They are getting hard to avoid and are often provided with items,

look for chipboard screws, they are seldom self drilling as its just as
bad in MDF and chipboard as in plugs.