Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq[_2_] Archibald Tarquin  Blenkinsopp Esq[_2_] is offline

Default Using phosphoric acid on sheet steel

On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 15:30:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, 24 August 2019 10:43:25 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 12:08:58 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 23 August 2019 13:14:47 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:

Hi all,

I have a steel BBQ which I am looking to derust using phosphoric acid. The acid is very runny and the BBQ far too big to dip it into a container of acid. I was wondering what the best method of "soaking" the BBQ in the acid so it would remove the rust. Some thoughts I had were.
1. put kitchen roll soaked in the acid on the surface
2. somehow thicken it (e.g. cornflour or something)
3. continually scrub it with a brush soaked in it

Anyone have any ideas / thoughts?

thanks

Lee.

Save your money next time, use HCl. HCl leaves a surface that rusts very quickly, it must be dried & coated right away when rinsed off.

NT

You must be some kind of masochist.

HCL is evil.

Maybe outside on a windy day with a full chemical suit etc.

AB

You certainly would need to do something that size outdoors
HCl is a joy to work with, results are almost instant. Last job I used it on the rust was gone in about 3 seconds, I wiped it off as I went to avoid excessive fume buildup (indoors).

NT

HCL is not nice. The finish is good, as you say.
Unless you then follow up with a lot of washing and tratment, the rust
will be back in no time.

Phosphoric acid is quick and I have had no trouble with fumes,
although I have stood next to a colleague who was finding the fumes
uncomfortable, yet I could genuinely smell nothing.

AB