Posted to uk.d-i-y
jeikppkywk jeikppkywk is offline

Default Another reason for voting for Brexit

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , tim...
writes

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 23/08/2019 13:46, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 23/08/2019 12:10, Marvin Turnip-Strearer wrote:
I made the big mistake of being collared by a neighbour
down my road, and asking what he thought about a No Deal
Brexit and although I'm fairly sure he's never even heard
of Usenet its probably best to be sure.
We live around the corner from a Tube station and one of
the main reasons he gave for voting leave. and why he thinks
a No Deal Brexit is a good idea is that you can't get on a
Tube train in the morning nowadays as a result of all
the "extra" people nowadays travelling into London.
When I pointed out to him that once we've sent all the
"extra" people back from where they came from, their jobs
would still need to be done by "our own" people who would
still need to travel to work by Tube.
This didn't seem to impress him very much.

I am sure we can do without the polish floor sweepers

Another reason was because of these plans to form a European
Army which would be run by the Germans. He explained that this
wouldn't be a good idea if we ever went to war with Germany
again.
I'm still not quite sure how that one was supposed to work
but by that stage I'd had enough of "the will of the people"

I was collared by a young lady who said we were mad to leave the EU
because we 'wouldnt be able to buy any stuff'

She was at a sixth form college too.

As she becomes older, and changes into a Conservative supporter, she
will probably also become one of those phone-in Brexiteers who believe
that it's EU rules that are presently preventing us from trading with
the RoW.

No, that is only remainers that think that no trade deal means no trade.

I've never heard any Remainer express such a misunderstanding.

they frequently claim then when we leave our trade with the EU will
plummet to zero

It's a natural extrapolation from that

Not quite. The problem is that much of our RoW trade is done via the RoW's
trade agreements with the EU

In fact **** all of the UK trade with the ROW is done like that.

and not via trade agreements with the UK per se.

The bulk of the UK trade with the ROW is done under the WTO rules.

Unless we can transfer the EU - RoW deals over to the UK, we won't have
any trade deals with the RoW.

That's wrong too. The UK is free to trade under the WTO rules
and that just happens to be by far the most comprehensive trade
agreement the world has ever seen with far more countries than
any other trade agreement and under its previous name GATT,
it preceded the EU and the EEC by decades.

Even if we do come to a deal with the EU, that doesn't mean that the EU -
RoW deals will apply to the UK.

Obviously that depends on the nature of the deal.