Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Weird light issue

On 24/08/2019 06:57, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Friday, 23 August 2019 13:38:33 UTC+1, Lee NowellÂ* wrote:

Hi All,

A friend was around yesterday and she was describing an issue she is
having with one of her lights.Â* In the bathroom she has a number of
spot lights (believed to by 240v) and when switch on, all lights come
on as normal.Â* When she turns them off, one of the lights flashes on
and off continually.Â* It would appear as though this is fully on then
fully off (i.e. not dim).

This has only recently started to happen and no work has been done on
the house to suddenly cause it.Â* I did wonder if for some reason an
emergency light was fitted (i.e. as in offices where they come on in
the event of power loss) but apparently they are all the same and no
little led lights on them to indicate these.

I can not think of anything that could cause this behaviour. Anyone
have any ideas?

thanks

Possibles:
1. Leakage R in bulb has gone o/c, now it's powering from capacitive
cable coupling

2. dodgy switch or wiring

Never seen a dodgy switch or wiring do anything like that. Dont believe
it.

The place I was at before had a weird switch in the bedroom with a dial
and stuff which I assume was to turn the lights on and off arbitrarily
to confuse burglars. I could never work it out, but some (but not all)
CFLs used to flicker continuously when the switch was off - I assume
that the electronics used the load as a return connection as switches
usually only have access to the line connection.

--
Max Demian