Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_9_] Ian Jackson[_9_] is offline

Default Another reason for voting for Brexit

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 23/08/2019 20:32, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:

Without any trade deal, presumably you would have to persuade the
vendor to sell it to you VAT-free

For export out of the EU, there'd be no VAT.

- and you would have to pay the UK customs the UK VAT, plus the
appropriate import duty on the total purchase price + VAT?

Why VAT and import duties twice?

It's not twice - but I think I might have got VAT and Import duty
the wrong way round - ie you pay duty first on the purchase price
(or if it's worth more, on UK customs think it's really worth), and
then you pay VAT on the total.

You also pay VAT on the shipping charges and the charge for collecting
the charges.

This happens now doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure it's just like buying something in the UK - ie you pay
the selling price (which may be ex-VAT or inc-VAT - VAT being the rate
where it is being sold. Shipping normally includes VAT, but some sellers
total up the ex-selling price + shipping, then add VAT.
--
Ian