Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_9_] Ian Jackson[_9_] is offline

Default Another reason for voting for Brexit

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:

Without any trade deal, presumably you would have to persuade the
vendor to sell it to you VAT-free

For export out of the EU, there'd be no VAT.

- and you would have to pay the UK customs the UK VAT, plus the
appropriate import duty on the total purchase price + VAT?

Why VAT and import duties twice?

It's not twice - but I think I might have got VAT and Import duty the
wrong way round - ie you pay duty first on the purchase price (or if
it's worth more, on UK customs think it's really worth), and then you
pay VAT on the total.
--
Ian