Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another reason for voting for Brexit

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:41:19 +0100, charles wrote:

well, it all depends on what sort of 'stuff'. I don't think the goods I
ordered last week from Germany would only take 4 days to arrive and I
expect the price would be higher.

Exactly.

Case in point this week. Last Thursday I ordered a piece of test
equipment (not cheap) from a company in the UK. Supposedly next day
delivery, but I got a cryptic email that I assumed meant it was being
drop shipped and would take an extra day.

At lunchtime Wednesday, with nothing in sight (and no promised email
update in sight) I phoned them. "Oh no, it's out of stock and we don't
know when...but the website would have told you". No it bloody didn't
(corroborative detail omitted to save space). So I cancelled the order.

I ordered it from the European distributor, near Eindhoven, mid afternoon
Wednesday. I watched it quickly move to Eindhoven, Liege, Stansted,
Maidstone, and here (less than 24 hours in total).

I had to pay 21% VAT (Netherlands rate) and it was almost exactly the
same price as the UK supplier. That isn't going to happen after any
Brexit.