Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Using phosphoric acid on sheet steel

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 05:14:44 -0700, Lee Nowell wrote:

Hi all,

I have a steel BBQ which I am looking to derust using phosphoric acid.
The acid is very runny and the BBQ far too big to dip it into a
container of acid. I was wondering what the best method of "soaking"
the BBQ in the acid so it would remove the rust. Some thoughts I had
were.
1. put kitchen roll soaked in the acid on the surface 2. somehow thicken
it (e.g. cornflour or something)
3. continually scrub it with a brush soaked in it

Anyone have any ideas / thoughts?

The rust eater products used to come as a gel with a brush.
Fine for small to medium spot treatment.

You don't say how much rust there is to treat.

Worth considering using some strong plastic sheeting to rest the BBQ bits
on whilst you are treating them. Acid tends to rot most things it comes in
contact with, especially clothing.

Cheers

Dave R

---