Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Kitchen unit fitting sequence - base then wall cupboards?

newshound wrote in
o.uk:

On 23/08/2019 13:15, David wrote:
We are about to use kitchen units from Benchmarx to fit out an
office.

Nothing much; just one tall wall cupboard and two pan drawer units.

I've downloaded the fitting instructions and hints, and one thing is
that it recommends fitting the run of base units before fitting the
wall units above.

My expectation was that you would fit the wall units first when you
could easily get at the wall, then fit the base units second.

Is "base units first" always the standard way (perhaps to make sure
the wall units are exactly aligned with the base units) or doesn't it
make much difference?

Cheers

Dave R

Personally I do wall units first because then you have easier access
for drilling without the base units getting in the way. The other
thing I have done for a long time is to fit a batten first, which all
the base units rest on. This is to carry the main weight, then the top
fittings only have to apply a tensile force to stop the units from
rotating away from the wall. The batten is not particularly visible
(especially if you use doors that are "higher" than the cabinets) and
I tend to fit screw hooks into them to hang kitchen spoons, etc.

With the batten first, it is usually only a one person job even to fit
double width wall units. Batten first also helps if you have
"difficult" walls. I have in the past used units that "hang" on high
hooks that you fit to the wall first, but it is more difficult to get
the units level and at the same height.

A length of Dexion type angle is less obvious than a batten. The fixing
to the wall is hidden by the cupboards. (if you fit it the right way)