Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Using phosphoric acid on sheet steel

On 23/08/2019 13:14, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all,

I have a steel BBQ which I am looking to derust using phosphoric acid. The acid is very runny and the BBQ far too big to dip it into a container of acid. I was wondering what the best method of "soaking" the BBQ in the acid so it would remove the rust. Some thoughts I had were.
1. put kitchen roll soaked in the acid on the surface
2. somehow thicken it (e.g. cornflour or something)
3. continually scrub it with a brush soaked in it

Anyone have any ideas / thoughts?

thanks

Lee.

Any of these work. Kitchen roll is good if you have a local area that is
particularly corroded.