Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Kitchen unit fitting sequence - base then wall cupboards?

On 23/08/2019 13:15, David wrote:
We are about to use kitchen units from Benchmarx to fit out an office.

Nothing much; just one tall wall cupboard and two pan drawer units.

I've downloaded the fitting instructions and hints, and one thing is that
it recommends fitting the run of base units before fitting the wall units
above.

My expectation was that you would fit the wall units first when you could
easily get at the wall, then fit the base units second.

Is "base units first" always the standard way (perhaps to make sure the
wall units are exactly aligned with the base units) or doesn't it make
much difference?

Cheers

Dave R

Personally I do wall units first because then you have easier access for
drilling without the base units getting in the way. The other thing I
have done for a long time is to fit a batten first, which all the base
units rest on. This is to carry the main weight, then the top fittings
only have to apply a tensile force to stop the units from rotating away
from the wall. The batten is not particularly visible (especially if you
use doors that are "higher" than the cabinets) and I tend to fit screw
hooks into them to hang kitchen spoons, etc.

With the batten first, it is usually only a one person job even to fit
double width wall units. Batten first also helps if you have "difficult"
walls. I have in the past used units that "hang" on high hooks that you
fit to the wall first, but it is more difficult to get the units level
and at the same height.