Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur Conan Doyle Arthur Conan Doyle is offline

Default My electrician is coming Thurs to install an additional 100A subpanel, and

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I remember the so called Gold Madalion homes that were the big thing
around this area about 50 years ago. I may be remembering wrong, but
think when I was very little I was in someones house that had that
madalion on it.

In the 70s in Chicagoland, Con Ed had a deal with home builders to promote "All
Electric" houses. Advertised how "clean" it was. Was about the time when
Braidwood and other nuclear reactors were popular. Builders loved it because it
made the appliances cheaper. As I recall, that program didn't last long once
electric bills started to skyrocket.

Northern Illinois gas had a similar program to encourage gas use. I can recall
the house we lived in had a gas driveway light. Essentially a pilot light with a
mantel, like a Coleman lantern. Ran 24/7. That got replaced with a traditional
electric lamp when gas prices spiked.