Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cheduled fills

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 08:30:49 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 8:55:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 19:13:13 -0500, Arthur Conan Doyle

That $2.50 was a "sale" that happens in the spring around here. It is
usually higher. Looking at a price citation on
https://fuelwonk.com/vendor/eia-flor...ne/36808/32801

It says $4.69. That makes your therms $4.26

Bummer. Definitely region specific. I know places in ag areas where propane
rarely goes over $1/gallon. It's used to dry grain and they go through thousands
of gallons a month.

The price is very volatile here. I see that $4 price a lot. I only use
it to run my generator these days Originally I got it for a pool
heater and I burned over 100 gallons in a few days, maybe a week. I
never turned the heater on again.

ROFL. Same thing goes on here. This has to be one of the biggest
fool scam things going. Seems just about all pools have a nat gas
pool heater sold here. I doubt anyone tells the owners the truth,
that even with nat gas, the costs to run a pool heater are crazy.
People see a pool heater that's the size of a minifridge and likely
think it can't use so much, not like a gas furnace to heat the house,
right? Wrong. These things are 300K, 400K Btus for a good size pool,
while the furnace for the house is 100K. Then you have the install
cost, larger gas service, running the gas pipes. Then they turn it
on, get one gas bill and 95% probably never use it again. I suppose
it's good for occasional use, like you're kids are having a pool
party and you want to heat it up for that.

And up here, you don't see solar being used for pools either. IDK why.
You'd think they would offer that as an option that actually can work
and be used economically. You would need space for the solar collectors,
which would be either the roof or someplace on the ground. There are
certainly people here that could be doing it, but I haven't seen one,
just the dopey gas pool heaters. Of course if you don't have ground
space, then you'd have to choose either solar electric or solar pool
for the roof.

As long as I can keep my tank topped up at the special deal price I am
good.,

Very happy to have NG here. My bills were cut by more than half eight
years ago with new 94% furnace.

Solar really just gets you about 10 degrees over average ambient air.
Up there that is not much help. Covering the pool will improve that
number some but as soon as you uncover it the temperature falls fast
if it is cool out.
Heat pumps are probably the best way to heat a pool but again if it is
cool out, you can't maintain the temperature without covering the
pool.