Dave K.

Default Are all composite deck railings flimsy?

Thanks for the tips. I know there are some composite materials that are
approved by our city code for decking but that same material isn't approved
for railings. I'll have to check on the Trex.

Dave

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.
"ClearCut" wrote in message
om...
"Dave K." wrote in message

We're considering having a second-story deck built using one of the
composite brands of decking, such as TimberTech TwinFinish (see
http://www.timbertech.com/products/twinplank.aspx ) which is the solid

kind
of composite decking, like Trex, that is a combination of wood fiber and
polymers.

Anyway, most people -- including our deck builder -- have advised us not

use composite materials for the railing (especially on a deck that will

be
up high, like ours) because they aren't strong enough.

...snip...

I recently built a railing using Trex components and using Trex design
and installation instructions The railing is sufficiently strong to
keep an active 2 year old contained. For the Trex system at least you
do need to follow design constraints, the 4X4 posts cannot be notched
for example. The railing needs to be supported every 18". This railing
appears to be every bit as strong as ones made of wood.

This was an existing deck and there was one odd corner where I had to
use lag screws in lieu of carriage bolts to secure the posts where I
am less confident of the long term strength. I would not want someone
sitting on that corner rocking back and forth for example.

I also built benches as a railing using prefabricated steel supports
set 24" apart. The steel provides the legs, seat and back support,
with 2X6 Trex for the actual seat and back. These are very sturdy. If
the height above the seat for the railing meets code requirements,
this may be an option.