Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 12:26:50 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:
snip

The 'problem' with that particular solution is that it was pulling
over 40W when running (with 4 x Seagate's, Red's might have been lower
power) and 17W when idle (and was still quite warm when sleeping).

Cheers, T i m

[1] Mate says he has another (empty) TeraStation somewhere that I
could have and I might feel happier actually using such ITRW, knowing
I had some spare hardware to fall back on once I had committed to the
drives.

I don't run NAS drives in my synology boxes.

Interesting.

They don't spin continuously so I use desktop drives and they are fine.

How do we know if they are (or will be) as fine as specific NAS /
Server drives though? I'm not just talking warranty protection here
but the real world long term reliability of such things?

I wonder how much of the spinning thing is supposed to be 'the point'
with NAS drives though (even though I generally get drives to spin
down).

eg, The marketing blurb seems to suggest that NAS drives are (compared
with desktop drives presumably) 'low power, low noise and low heat',
as those are things that might otherwise be issues. However, I'm not
sure just how many drives fail because the man spindle bearing or
motor fails, rather than the media itself or the electronics?

So, do the drives get powered down when they spin down?

WD green in the one.

Ok.
I forget what's in the other.

Ok.

I did have an early fail on one drive but they replaced it with a bigger
one under warranty without any hassle.

Sure, you are bound to get some infant mortality with these things
(all part of the 'Bathtub' MTBF graph) so it can be more down to how
the manufacturers / suppliers then deal with that that's the issue.

In the old days (and possibly pre SMART), when one installed a HDD in
say a server you would note it's published MTBF and put it's potential
life span in your diary and be ready to replace it before that time.

Only those who don't understand MTBF did that.

With SMART and redundancy, it seems people (server farms) just wait
for them to fail and then swap them out?

With RAID, yep. Tho with SMART it is better to monitor the
SMART stats and swap before they fail when the number of
remapped sectors starts increasing.

How do you manage your Windows PC backups to the Synology boxes Den?
Mine should arrive tomorrow but I'd still be interested to learn what
tools to use and how?

Daughter has a Windows laptop and desktop she would like
'automatically' backed up plus possibly a central store of (copy in
many cases) photos, so she can use / access them easier?

The NAS itself would also be backed up somehow (not sure how yet).