Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 03:38:11 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

A mate used to buy the sweetest price point 2.5" drives for his
desktops and would retire them to his laptops when bigger
capacities came down in price. That may have changed with
a change in usage (cloud storage etc) and the advent of SSD's
that seem to have a better performance impact in laptops.

I don't bother with SSDs because my system runs 24/7 and I only reboot
when I have to and it isnt work paying anything for a quicker reboot.

But whilst SSD's do often help reduce boot speeds, it's not all about
that in every case. Like, I understand they draw less power,

Not something that matters with a desktop system.

It can, less noise, no need for fans to keep things cool.

And more and morem people don't have desktops they have laptops or mobile devices, laptops with SSDs tend to last longer are lighter, quieter and need less cooling and use less power which makes battery life longer.

generate less heat,

Ditto. I don't even bother to have the covers on mine.

What covers ?

they are and will remain silent for their entire life spans

Mine stay entirely silent.

Can't hear them above the noise from the fans is usually the situation.

and many offer a longer warrantee than most spinny drives.

I choose the long warranty HDDs and have never had a warranty claim.

That proves nothing.

It's possible you would get a longer warrantee (5 years) than a spinny
drive designed for the role of NAS drive (WD Red 3 years).

But pointless spending money to get that.

Not for most.

Given that a 2.5" SSD is now only a few quid more than a Red drive ...

Both are much too small to be any use for me.

Makes you wonder why componies make them doesn't it, I mean if they are of no use to you what possible use could anyone else have for them ;-P