Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On 18 Aug 2019 14:11:27 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 14:32:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

The only thing that's ever failed is a couple of PSUs, and that wasn't
their fault. I fitted optical drives to the machines, and the power
adaptors I'd used failed catastrophically and killed the PSU.

The worst example of that I witnessed is someone using a very cheap
Molex to SATA power adapter take out a brand new and very large
(expensive) capacity HDD. 5 and 12V crossed over. ;-(

In this case they worked loose, overheated, the plastic melted and
shorted the power!

What are the chances etc. ;-(

That was the firewall system. Took less than 20 minutes to change over
(it only runs on a USB stick).

It's handy to be able to do that eh. I try to take images of my RPi
things, once they are running, I try to store them on a different
server though. ;-)

I think you can backup the config on many commercial NAS boxes (I
think I saw the option on the TeraStation, Synology and on OMV) and
that makes the replacement of the hardware easier.

It would be an interesting experiment (for me anyway g) to see if
you could transpose the system config backup file on OMV running on a
RPi on PC version. One of the things I like about OMV is that it
doesn't seem to get the admin / user involved with the hardware on any
platform. The exception is on one of the Shuttle models that didn't
seem 100% compatible with my LAN and you had to disable the autospeed
detection on the underlying Linux or it wouldn't being the link up.
;-(

Cheers, T i m