Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 12:37:59 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

A mate used to buy the sweetest price point 2.5" drives for his
desktops and would retire them to his laptops when bigger
capacities came down in price. That may have changed with
a change in usage (cloud storage etc) and the advent of SSD's
that seem to have a better performance impact in laptops.

I don't bother with SSDs because my system runs 24/7 and I only reboot
when I have to and it isnt work paying anything for a quicker reboot.

But whilst SSD's do often help reduce boot speeds, it's not all about
that in every case. Like, I understand they draw less power,

Not something that matters with a desktop system.

I know ... but we aren't talking about desktops here (have your meds
worn off as you were just starting to sound like a normal person)?

generate less heat,

Ditto.

I know (see above).

I don't even bother to have the covers on mine.

Ok?

they are and will remain silent for their entire life spans

Mine stay entirely silent.

Except they aren't are they? The may be very quiet (now) and you may
not be able to hear them in an everyday sense but they aren't
'silent'.

and many offer a longer warrantee than most spinny drives.

I choose the long warranty HDDs and have never had a warranty claim.

Irrelevant. Do any of your spinny HDD's have a 5yr warrantee (if so,
please provide links to support that).

It's possible you would get a longer warrantee (5 years) than a spinny
drive designed for the role of NAS drive (WD Red 3 years).

But pointless spending money to get that.

For you, not for many other / normal people.

Given that a 2.5" SSD is now only a few quid more than a Red drive ...

Both are much too small to be any use for me.

But it's not all about you, is it left brainer. ;-(

Cheers, T i m