Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Motion sensative outside light

wrote in message
On Monday, 19 August 2019 13:57:09 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 18 August 2019 20:15:38 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Sunday, 18 August 2019 13:30:11 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2019 15:06, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:50:58 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/08/2019 11:44, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 00:09:42 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 16:54:37 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 13/08/2019 10:06, tabbypurr wrote:

Rebulbable lights last far longer, come in a huge range of
looks, and are cheaper.

Lights with fixed LEDs last longer,

the life of one LED only. Duh.

with is ~10 years if they are only on for 12 hours a day.

Some don't even live in the same property for that long.

come in a huge range of looks, and are cheaper.

The reason they last longer is because they can be cooled
better than some random fitting retrofitted with a LED bulb.

No dennis. The reason they last less long is a) the
manufacturer couldn't care less as long as it makes a few
years

So don;t buy from a cheap manufacturer. The same goes for any
product.

b) since it's only on a small % of time they push the LEDs much
harder. BC/ES LEDs OTOH are rated at 15-25k hours

why would they need to push them harder ? Ah because they are
crap quality to start with ?

because it suits tabby's argument.

he ignores the often reported failures of LED bulbs due to over
heating of the PSU in the base.

Of course you could buy philips hue bulbs which will have a switch
mode supply in them but they are £20+. The cheap ones come with a
crappy capacitor dropper which wont last a year in an unventilated
lamp or even one that has the bulb hanging down. .

I see you're dodging reality again. A year is 8,760 hours. A 15k or
25k rating means the lamps last an average of 15 or 25k hours run
time. That there are infant failures on all LED lamps makes not one
whit of difference. Other than the relamping cost of £3 versus £70.

Just as well they come with 3 - 5 year warranties then...

whatever use is that? I expect light fittings to last decades, and mine
do.

Most decorate more than once every couple of decades and usually lighting
styles and their fixtures change.

funny how that works. People buy junk, get fed up with it after
10 years and replace it with more junk. Rinse & repeat. While
those that know what they're doing buy something satisfactory

Thats what I did, with the fluoros and PAR38 floods.

& keep it for life.

I wasnt that stupid when something much better showed up, the
Hue leds that mean I dont have to fart around turning things on
and off all the time, its all completely automatic now. And I dont
have to keep replacing the PAR38s as they die either.

And no surprise, in time it becomes the most desirable lighting around.

Just another of your silly little pig ignorant fantasys.

Some of course short circuit that process & buy good very old fittings.

Only a fool would do that with fluoros and PAR38s today.

It'd be nice if they did last 100+ years.

they do. Assuming you don't buy idiot designs.

But still need rebulbing periodically.

Even here at work where the lab is getting a serious makeover
there's no plans to keep the 1990s light fitting (tubes) , just how
many here use floruescant tubes in the kitchen now, most places
I see now have downlighters which I don;t really like.

Lab lighting is very different to domestic

Bull****.