Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 06:09:13 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

A mate used to buy the sweetest price point 2.5" drives for his
desktops and would retire them to his laptops when bigger capacities
came down in price. That may have changed with a change in usage
(cloud storage etc) and the advent of SSD's that seem to have a better
performance impact in laptops.

I don't bother with SSDs because my system runs 24/7 and I only reboot
when I have to and it isnt work paying anything for a quicker reboot.

But whilst SSD's do often help reduce boot speeds, it's not all about
that in every case. Like, I understand they draw less power, generate
less heat, they are and will remain silent for their entire life
spans and many offer a longer warrantee than most spinny drives.

It's possible you would get a longer warrantee (5 years) than a spinny
drive designed for the role of NAS drive (WD Red 3 years).

Given that a 2.5" SSD is now only a few quid more than a Red drive ...
shrug

Cheers, T i m