Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slicing Stainless Rod

On 8/19/2019 4:16 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: Periodically I make a part
that requires sections of 1.5inch stainless
rod. They need to be consistently sized and the cut needs to decently
perpendicular. It doesn't need to be aerospace accurate, but they need
to look good. In the past I have sliced them with a parting blade on
the lathe, and knocked the burr off the edges with a file while it
parting. Its not great, and I still need to lightly face the parts. I
probably just need to try it and see, but I was wondering if it might be
faster to just section them to rough length on the horizontal bandsaw,
and then face them to length. I guess I should go look up some SFM
numbers to see how fast I can saw cut 304.

I was also thinking if I make a spider I can lock the carriage and face
the to length in batches.