Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slicing Stainless Rod

Periodically I make a part that requires sections of 1.5inch stainless
rod. They need to be consistently sized and the cut needs to decently
perpendicular. It doesn't need to be aerospace accurate, but they need
to look good. In the past I have sliced them with a parting blade on
the lathe, and knocked the burr off the edges with a file while it
parting. Its not great, and I still need to lightly face the parts. I
probably just need to try it and see, but I was wondering if it might be
faster to just section them to rough length on the horizontal bandsaw,
and then face them to length. I guess I should go look up some SFM
numbers to see how fast I can saw cut 304.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/19/2019 4:16 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: Periodically I make a part
that requires sections of 1.5inch stainless
rod. They need to be consistently sized and the cut needs to decently
perpendicular. It doesn't need to be aerospace accurate, but they need
to look good. In the past I have sliced them with a parting blade on
the lathe, and knocked the burr off the edges with a file while it
parting. Its not great, and I still need to lightly face the parts. I
probably just need to try it and see, but I was wondering if it might be
faster to just section them to rough length on the horizontal bandsaw,
and then face them to length. I guess I should go look up some SFM
numbers to see how fast I can saw cut 304.

I was also thinking if I make a spider I can lock the carriage and face
the to length in batches.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Periodically I make a part that requires sections of 1.5inch
stainless rod. They need to be consistently sized and the cut needs
to decently perpendicular. It doesn't need to be aerospace
accurate, but they need to look good. In the past I have sliced
them with a parting blade on the lathe, and knocked the burr off the
edges with a file while it parting. Its not great, and I still need
to lightly face the parts. I probably just need to try it and see,
but I was wondering if it might be faster to just section them to
rough length on the horizontal bandsaw, and then face them to
length. I guess I should go look up some SFM numbers to see how
fast I can saw cut 304.

I had to clean up the machining on my 4x6 before I could set the fence
square to about 0.01" per inch or better with a try square. In the
vertical direction the legs need to be shimmed to straighten the table
so the blade descends square . Outdoors I move it around to find a
sweet spot on the pavement.

On a good day facing off ~0.005" cleans up the end of 2" saw cutoffs.

I'm listening to the Rumours: Fleetwood Mac program on PBS which is a
tribute band, not the documentary of making that painful album. This
band is very good and the singer imitates Stevie Nicks' voice almost
perfectly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20/08/2019 00:16, Bob La Londe wrote:
Periodically I make a part that requires sections of 1.5inch stainless
rod. They need to be consistently sized and the cut needs to decently
perpendicular.Â* It doesn't need to be aerospace accurate, but they
need to look good.Â* In the past I have sliced them with a parting
blade on the lathe, and knocked the burr off the edges with a file
while it parting.Â* Its not great, and I still need to lightly face the
parts.Â* I probably just need to try it and see, but I was wondering if
it might be faster to just section them to rough length on the
horizontal bandsaw, and then face them to length.Â* I guess I should go
look up some SFM numbers to see how fast I can saw cut 304.

I make various parts with tube or solid bar up to about 12mm so a bit
smaller than what you're doing. I use a slitting saw mounted on an arbor
held in my lathe spindle and a fixture to hold the material mounted in
the lathe tool post. Once set-up I can accurately turn out parts to
close length tolerances and square. Sometimes I run coolant sometimes I
just apply it manually. Cutting is almost always done with the power
feed and I usually do 100+ items at a time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message

I make various parts with tube or solid bar up to about 12mm so a
bit smaller than what you're doing. I use a slitting saw mounted on
an arbor held in my lathe spindle and a fixture to hold the material
mounted in the lathe tool post. Once set-up I can accurately turn
out parts to close length tolerances and square. Sometimes I run
coolant sometimes I just apply it manually. Cutting is almost always
done with the power feed and I usually do 100+ items at a time.

Sounds interesting. Material, speed, feed, tool life?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21/08/2019 14:00, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Billington" wrote in message
I make various parts with tube or solid bar up to about 12mm so a
bit smaller than what you're doing. I use a slitting saw mounted on
an arbor held in my lathe spindle and a fixture to hold the material
mounted in the lathe tool post. Once set-up I can accurately turn
out parts to close length tolerances and square. Sometimes I run
coolant sometimes I just apply it manually. Cutting is almost always
done with the power feed and I usually do 100+ items at a time.

Sounds interesting. Material, speed, feed, tool life?

The largest number I produce probably numbers around 2000 - 2500 to date
of a small spacer made from 316 seamless 6mm OD tubing 1mm wall, cutting
speed as recommended for the material and HSS the lathe set for that
speed or the next lower, feed is what I'm happy with. For that job I
normally use a fine tooth slitting saw so have plenty of teeth to work
with and haven't retired a saw yet due to wear just occasionally I don't
tighten the tube clamp enough and the tube spins which damages the saw,
I must have cut a 1000 on one saw as I normally do them in batches of
250. I have plenty of saws as when a local engineering work was
demolished some years ago a mate who knew the demolition contractor put
in a bid for me and got me what is likely to be a lifetimes supply of
slitting saws, side and face cutter and slab mills. The company did a
lot of fine work so the slitting saws vary in size from about 2" up to
6", the ones I use for the job mentioned before are IIRC 2.5" x 1/32"
with fine teeth.