Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default money laundering

On 19/08/2019 18:57, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
guy just came to my door tonight with £12000 cash to buy a car he had
viewed the other day...I told him that he would have to come with me to the
bank tomorrow to state where the money came from...was I right to do that or
should I have just taken the cash ? .....what would have happened...

Was it all in £50s? Round here petrol station won't accept them because
of forgeries. I'd have thought that was the biggest risk (assuming you
have V5C records for the transfer).

I know a few people with cash businesses who regularly carry round
several thousand pounds in cash.

I was once asked very politely by a bank where a cheque for a few £k had
come from, but they were perfectly happy with my explanation (iirc it
was a legacy from the executor).

I paid £1100 into a post office in 10's and 20's a couple of weeks ago,
it just went straight into the counting machine. I don't know whether
these have some fake detection in them. But that is below the level that
trips the "laundering" check.