Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On Monday, 19 August 2019 15:22:10 UTC+1, Pancho wrote:
On 19/08/2019 13:43, whisky-dave wrote:

What do you actually need to back up ?

I have converted to paperless and scan all my documents.

If you have to scan in then yuo haven't really converted to paperless.
My telephone bill etc is paperless I don't have to scan anything in and if I did get my bill and reciept I don;t think I'd scan them all in.

For me 30 years
company records, photos, documents, plus convenient current application
data is about 30 gig total. 10 GB critical/ 20 GB convenient. Much of
the critical stuff is static data that doesn't change year on year.

So
no real reason to back it up everyday.

The 20 GB convenient includes all the crap Google and Microsoft write to
my Appdata folders, it is just too much effort to seperate it out.

What makes you think that crap needs backing up ?
At home although my apps have been backed up, I don't really need to back them up as later versions are free on the app store (Apple).

I do have dozens of CD/DVD even floppies with backed up staff but I;m not sure that I'd miss Wrod 5.1 or excel 4 in the futer so don't really see the need to reback them up everyday/week/year.
If they went missing tomorrow I doubt they'd give me even a mins sleepless night, and that goes for the majority of what I have backedup.

Obviously work is differnt. Saw a programme on TV where a document in a filing cabnet proved something about a car in the 1970s.

It surprises me that so many people go for raid when even if you have
raid you still need to backup onto different physically seperate data
stores.

True, personally I see little use in RAID in todays world for teh majority.

Most of the stuff on my NAS is just for convenience. Critical stuff I
sync between local drives on a number of my machines.

I guess it depends just how critical, I mean if I lost my first picture I took of my latest cat with my new camera, just how many sleepless nights I'd have ?
A picture which is still on my desktop, and stored in googlemail and probbably archived on 3 or so 3TB drives.
What I really need is a sock backup draw, I lose far more of those than I do files. :-)