Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On Monday, 19 August 2019 10:54:55 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 10:54:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:
snip

By that I mean like many things there isn't really any way you can
sure that version E of something *will* inherit the good
characteristics of version D or that it's baby brother is even the
result of the same parents!

That's specially true of Seagate that bought the Samsung 3.5"
HDD line relatively recently and has a tradition of continuing the
operations they bought and just rebranding what they produce.

And I'm not sure if you could ever tell what was actually under the
label? I have bought some White Label RAM where it's just that, a
label over some branded product but I think it might be easier to
're-brand' a HDD as you could overwrite the firmware than some RAM
when you probably can't.

snip

It's like the drives in my old WHS are probably 10+ years old now (I
thought they were Hitachi but WHS device manager tells me they are
500GB Samsung HM501II's):

https://www.hdsentinel.com/storagein...NG%20HM 501II

So I'd love to replace them with 3 x 1TB Samsung drives of the same
build / design as the existing but what are the chances of finding
such a thing?

I do in fact have quite a few of them myself. None have ever failed.

I think when I built the server I considered what make of drive I'd
never / rarely seen faulty and also looked at the drives the local PC
shop was often replacing ... and hence why I chose the Samsungs.

Years ago I can remember seeing (and having) several dead Maxtor
drives but that could have been party down to them being cheaper than
most at the time and so appearing in greater quantities.

So I need to hope that Seagate carried on making the Samsung drives
the same way Samsung did but just stuck their badge on, if I'm looking
for a 1TB Sammy spinner. If so then I can get 3 x 1TB Seagate
spinners for the price of 1 SSD.

Did Samsung make a 1TB 2.5" pre 2011 (when Seagate took that product
line over), if I was looking for NOS? ;-)

Seagate only bought the 3.5" line, not the 2.5" line.

I wonder if it's more likely I could find a (or 3) 1TB external USB
2.5" drive that still uses a std drive and interface as they can often
be found cheaper than a bare drive and I can use the enclosure for
smaller drives (or the old Samsungs as backup / portable drives).

Dunno, I don't bother with 2.5" drives, I buy the 3.5" drives and 8TB drives
most recently.

What do you actually need to back up ?

I'm suprised by the number of people that place such high importance on their backups or even on the original files they backup.
Some if it;s their job to backup data I can understadn but the average home users, sure I back up pictures of my cat and gig's I go to but I can't think of anything that would be seriously life changing.