Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Motion sensative outside light

On 18/08/2019 20:35, wrote:
On Sunday, 18 August 2019 20:23:19 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/08/2019 13:59, Robin wrote:
On 18/08/2019 13:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2019 15:06, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:50:58 UTC+1, dennis@home
wrote:
On 14/08/2019 11:44, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 00:09:42 UTC+1, tabby
wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 16:54:37 UTC+1, dennis@home
wrote:
On 13/08/2019 10:06, tabbypurr wrote:

Rebulbable lights last far longer, come in a huge
range of looks, and are cheaper.

Lights with fixed LEDs last longer,

the life of one LED only. Duh.

with is ~10 years if they are only on for 12 hours a
day.

Some don't even live in the same property for that long.

come in a huge range of looks, and are cheaper.

The reason they last longer is because they can be
cooled better than some random fitting retrofitted
with a LED bulb.

No dennis. The reason they last less long is a) the
manufacturer couldn't care less as long as it makes a
few years

So don;t buy from a cheap manufacturer. The same goes for
any product.

b) since it's only on a small % of time they push the
LEDs much harder. BC/ES LEDs OTOH are rated at 15-25k
hours

why would they need to push them harder ? Ah because they
are crap quality to start with ?

because it suits tabby's argument.

he ignores the often reported failures of LED bulbs due to
over heating of the PSU in the base.

Of course you could buy philips hue bulbs which will have a
switch mode supply in them but they are £20+. The cheap
ones come with a crappy capacitor dropper which wont last a
year in an unventilated lamp or even one that has the bulb
hanging down. .

I see you're dodging reality again. A year is 8,760 hours. A
15k or 25k rating means the lamps last an average of 15 or
25k hours run time. That there are infant failures on all LED
lamps makes not one whit of difference. Other than the
relamping cost of £3 versus £70.

Just as well they come with 3 - 5 year warranties then...

All good points of course. But I have never seen a warranty that
covers the labour cost of replacing the fitting. That does not
matter to you or others who can DIY. But to many consumers it's
a substantial cost.

If they get the fitter to also supply the fitting, then they can
check they will honour the warranty and bear the cost when
commissioning the work.

If you want to install short lived fittings that have to be replaced
when the bulb fails that's your call.

In some cases I do... if they meet the spec I needed. The last time I
did I would be surprised if you could find an alternative re-lampable
option that would.

Even if I only get a 5th of the 40K hours average life advertised, that
will likely be decades in the application for which I chose them, so at
£13 a pop that is fine by me. Cheapest rarely means best.

I don't.

Best you stick to carbon arc filament...

Also work keeping in mind that in lots of commercial situations
the costs of re-lamping and replacing are similar due to the H&S
brigade insisting that scaffolding be used to reach high fittings
etc.

not relevant to diyers or the general public at home.

Have you been attending the harry school of comprehension? I thought the
"lots of commercial situations" caveat would pretty much eliminate
domestic and DIY from consideration in relation to the point, and yet still?

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |