Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Self service checkouts in B&Q

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 16 August 2019 14:04:31 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for
this
yet. The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the
cameras
and other sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you
with
no interaction whatsoever.

I'd really like to test that and see if it works accurately.

I suspect not

Yeah, can't see how it can even if the trolley weighs itself
continuously, particularly with loose veg and fruit etc.

presumably there is no loose veg

Cant see that being viable with lettuce and cabbage etc.

why ever not?

Obviously the pack size will be one (and the price will be per unit not
per
kilo)

but some shops rund ere pack and price them that way

The cabbages in particular can range from football sized to ones barely
bigger than a tennis ball, all for the same price. I refuse to buy
unless I
get the football, but others are obviously not so choosey.

More doesn't always mean better. This is one reason why some go to fruit
and veg stalls

fine if you've got the choice

becaus ethe produce is better than the supermarkets wrapped and waxed
fruit and it's cheaper too.

Round where I am the option is a poncy Farmer's market where they think it's
OK not to display prises (I presume that it is otherwise someone would stop
them)

ask the price and the answer is "if you need to ask, you can't afford it"
:-)

Cheaper they most definitely are not

tim