Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Caravan electrics.

Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 16/08/2019 18:42, Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:

Bert, you know I said it was a woman in my local pub asking about
rewiring her sister's caravan in Bristol. Well she was in the pub again
last night and had had a few too many. It turns out it's her caravan
(although it is in Bristol and officially her sister owns it) she has
just not told her husband yet.

It's a 1960's caravan and is ****ed.

Probably just needs a few new gas mantles and the chemical toilet emptying
then. ;-)

I am trying to get some photos of it.

Is it insured for fire? It would probably be a kindness. ;-)

Seriously, unless it has *huge* sentimental value or is a rare or
€œprestige€ marque, rewiring it sounds like a fools errand.

Tim

You might be surprised.

There is a lot of interest in €˜vintage caravans. Alarmingly, €˜vintage is
all relative and some of us clearly remember when €˜vintage things were the
latest things. Even my eldest ( not yet 29) has experienced this!

Caravan wiring is far simpler than motorhome wiring. The latter really
requires more interaction with the base vehicle, at least in the larger
ones. A caravan is more independent. Assuming youve got the basic towing
electrics (lights) you could limit the vehicle interface to an €˜earth, 12V
(ideally switched) and include a voltage sensing €˜relay (probably solid
state these days) in the caravan.

Actual wiring for interior lights etc (12v), perhaps some 12v sockets etc,
a charger for the leisure battery, pump, a bit of mains is trivial for a
DIYer. The worst bit is probably access - wires need to be hid etc .

It could be he just needs to change the bulbs / fittings for LED ones. Our
first MH, while new, came with quartz halogen bulbs in the interior lights.
While they gave good light, replacing them with LEDs reduced the current
required by approx 90%. When you are relying on your leisure battery, that
is significant.