Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Caravan electrics.

In article , ARW
writes
On 14/08/2019 21:05, bert wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
On 14/08/2019 19:50, Brian Reay wrote:
On 14/08/2019 19:07, ARW wrote:
On 13/08/2019 08:52, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Is there actually stuff in BS7671 about caravan wiring?

*From 17th ed (as I don't have 18th ed)

721.421.2

The wiring systems shall be installed using one or more of the
following:

(i) Insulated single-core cables, with flexible class 5
conductors, in non-metallic conduit.

(ii) Insulated single-core cables, with stranded class 2
conductors (minimum of 7 strands), in non-metallic conduit.

(iii) Sheathed flexible cables.

It's not what cables to use that bothers me. It's more what
advances are there in making it more user friendly. I had never
even considered* that all the lighting should be 12V.
*Hmm, there is a whole debate there.
*Most modern ones have a 'smart' box which controls various things,
including a user control panel. Just how much of functionality is
required is open to debate. You could implement most things with
just switchers and simple sensors (for water level, voltage sensing
etc). No* need for LCD displays and menus. Perhaps a simple voltmeter.
*If you look on YouTube, there are videos where people have done
their* own conversions and wired up simple but adequate electrical
systems* without using a commercial controller.

I might be overestimating what she wants.

Well that's the key thing. If it needs a rewire is it an older
caravan? Does she just want basically what she has now.
Her caravan will be plated as NCC approved.
https://www.thencc.org.uk/the_ncc/aboutNCC.aspx
As a diy job it is not difficult., just as rewiring your house isn't
difficult. It's the certification bit that causes the problems esp
when it comes to insurance.
Can I suggest that you call in at a caravan dealership and have a
look at a few new caravans so you will see the sort of things which
are current on the electrical side.
Then go back to your client and establish just what she wants. If
it's a major upgrade then I would be inclined to advise you as a
professional to decline.

Bert, you know I said it was a woman in my local pub asking about
rewiring her sister's caravan in Bristol. Well she was in the pub again
last night and had had a few too many. It turns out it's her caravan
(although it is in Bristol and officially her sister owns it) she has
just not told her husband yet.

It's a 1960's caravan and is ****ed.

Chances are it's rotten. Suggest she gets it damp tested first.
--
bert