Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Has Sainsbury's lost it?

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 18:27:01 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 17:01:25 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 11:10:11 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

[Snip]

Here in the UK TFL has said less people are using the buses, but
that
isnlt true less people are scanning their oyster cards so they get
free
travel. I see it everyday, I;d estimate 30% of bust users aren't
aren't
scanning in, they just walk on the bus, the driver isn't interesting
in
confronting them. But you have to be observant otherwise you'll miss
what
is going on.

How many of those are, like me, holders of bus passes?

If yuo have a pass yuo still need to or should scan in.

They don't need to
scan in, I don't know about Freedom Passes.

Then why give them a pass if they aren't needed,

the pass is needed (FSVO)

whatever that means.

it means the pass is needed, so therefore they have to be given out

Yes I know.

no-one gets free travel in London on the basis of looking like they are old
enough, they have to have a pass that proves that they are.

That's what I thought, even those that get free travel due to their age or lack of age such as yuong kids should be counted as traveling by bus.

But I have seen notices saying that you must have a valid ticket or pass
to enable you to travel.

it's the scanning part on entry that (some think) is optional

And they are wrong,

There are plenty who think otherwise

and those are the ones that are counted as traveling.

and AFAIA no experience that prove otherwise

I use at least 2 buses every weekday.

but it doesn't explain the high numbers of peole not scanning in a card.

about 80% of passengers don't "pay" a fare on the bus because they have some
form of pass

Like I do, I have an oystercard and I need to have it scanned or I'm illegal using the service.

Only those that are scanned in are counted as bus passengers, those that don't scan in aren't counted this results in a count that is far less than the actual number of travelers this allows TFL to reduce some services. They are plannig this in my local area cancelling one service and diverting another because of alledge lack of use. I know because I've talked to a bus driver about this, I've had 2 friends that have been bus drivers.

tim