Dave K.

Default Are all composite deck railings flimsy?

We're considering having a second-story deck built using one of the
composite brands of decking, such as TimberTech TwinFinish (see
http://www.timbertech.com/products/twinplank.aspx ) which is the solid kind
of composite decking, like Trex, that is a combination of wood fiber and
polymers.

Anyway, most people -- including our deck builder -- have advised us not to
use composite materials for the railing (especially on a deck that will be
up high, like ours) because they aren't strong enough. We prefer that the
whole deck be low maintenance and prefer not to have varnish all the boards
on a cedar railing year after year. (We don't like the grayed-out look from
unvarnished cedar or pressure treated wood.) So unless we can find a
composite railing alternative, we'll probably be going with a cedar and
aluminum spindle railing system for our new deck. The cedar will be high
maintenance but at least the spindles would be maintenance free.

Anyway, it seems odd that these composite decking manufacturers haven't yet
come up with a sturdy, low-maintenance railing system that matches their
decking products. Does anybody know of a type or brand of low-maintenance
composite railing material that is sturdy and strong? Does anyone have such
a composite railing system that they've used and are happy with?

Your advice would be appreciated!!

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.