Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Corn

On 08/14/2019 11:39 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:35:58 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/14/2019 03:14 PM, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

After you pull the husk back you nibble a little bit to make sure it's
sweet...

Not look good might mean the worms got there first or the ear didn't
fill out.

I always peel the top of the ear back a little. That is where the
worms will usually be, right up by the tassel. I also want to be sure
what color it is. A lot of people will shuck it right there in the
store, they even have a trash can there just for that but I like to
cook it in the husk.
These days with all of the chemicals they use, worms and bugs are
pretty rare. Back in Maryland with little farms that wasn't the case.
Most of the time people would cut the first couple inches off without
even looking. They didn't want to know about the worms.

I had my corn last weekend at the fair. The Rainbow Girls have a booth
every year. They get the corn from a little farm in Colorado and it's
damn good.

Corn is iffy locally. About the only veggie crop you really depend on is
zucchini. Leave your car unlocked and you might find a bag of squash
waiting for you.