Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Corn

When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 2:14:18 PM UTC-7, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

Yes and yes. If it's typical yellow corn, I look for kernels that are still whitish, indicating that it's not yet ripe. A good test is to pierce a kernel with your thumb nail. If it squirts juice, it's ripe; If not, it's either premature or dead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:14:10 -0400, micky
wrote:

When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?
Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?
What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

Just buy it fresh from the neighbours stand ...
any modern road-side stand will have good fresh corn -
no need to check.,
Many years ago, when charged with getting corn for
The Family Rebellion - we picked-our-own, without checking -
and discovered a lot of worms .. we just cut out the bad parts &
it was ok .. I have never seen that in any farm-stands.
The other thing to check for is freshness - do the kernels look
bursting with freshness ? or a little limp ?
We would almost never buy from a grocery store.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Corn is genetically modified, covered in glyphosate and has a high glycemic index.Â* It's basically a cancer trifecta.Â* Why anyone would eat that **** is beyond me.

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

If the kernals are shrivelled or undersize or not mature (still
white) or wormy - or so ripe they are hard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 18:11:37 -0400, Grumpy Old White Guy
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:14 PM, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

Corn is genetically modified, covered in glyphosate and has a high glycemic index.* It's basically a cancer trifecta.* Why anyone would eat that **** is beyond me.

You must be Cherman - it's only recently that Germans eat corn -
kernel or on cob - it's always been "pig feed"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2019 6:11 PM, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:
On 8/14/2019 5:14 PM, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean?Â*Â* Why would you reject an ear of corn?

Corn is genetically modified, covered in glyphosate and has a high
glycemic index.Â* It's basically a cancer trifecta.Â* Why anyone would eat
that **** is beyond me.

Because it tastes good? Grilled, with butter and salt. Yummmmmmm!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2019 5:14 PM, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

If you buy it at a local farm stand, chang=ces are it is very good.
Maybe a part of one ear in a season is sub par but usually they are
excellent.

I never buy corn at the supermarket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:14 PM, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

Corn is genetically modified, covered in glyphosate and has a high glycemic index.Â* It's basically a cancer trifecta.Â* Why anyone would eat that **** is beyond me.

You must be Cherman - it's only recently that Germans eat corn -
kernel or on cob - it's always been "pig feed"

You must be a racist?

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/14/2019 03:14 PM, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

After you pull the husk back you nibble a little bit to make sure it's
sweet...

Not look good might mean the worms got there first or the ear didn't
fill out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:35:58 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/14/2019 03:14 PM, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

After you pull the husk back you nibble a little bit to make sure it's
sweet...

Not look good might mean the worms got there first or the ear didn't
fill out.

I always peel the top of the ear back a little. That is where the
worms will usually be, right up by the tassel. I also want to be sure
what color it is. A lot of people will shuck it right there in the
store, they even have a trash can there just for that but I like to
cook it in the husk.
These days with all of the chemicals they use, worms and bugs are
pretty rare. Back in Maryland with little farms that wasn't the case.
Most of the time people would cut the first couple inches off without
even looking. They didn't want to know about the worms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/14/2019 03:14 PM, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

After you pull the husk back you nibble a little bit to make sure it's
sweet...

Not look good might mean the worms got there first or the ear didn't
fill out.

I always peel the top of the ear back a little. That is where the
worms will usually be, right up by the tassel. I also want to be sure
what color it is. A lot of people will shuck it right there in the
store,

Doesn't it dry out if you shuck it in the store?

they even have a trash can there just for that but I like to

They still do in Md.

cook it in the husk.
These days with all of the chemicals they use, worms and bugs are
pretty rare. Back in Maryland with little farms that wasn't the case.
Most of the time people would cut the first couple inches off without
even looking. They didn't want to know about the worms.

I've never seen a worm. I've only seen one bad piece of corn that I can
remember, only because the rows were uneven and parts had no kernels,
but what was there was fine.

If I'm within a half mile of a farm stand, I'll go, but I'm usually not,
and I'm usually at the grocery store for other groceries, so I buy corn
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 5:14:18 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Not all the way down, since we like to grill it in the husk. But
enough to see the first few kernels.

I also examine the silk. If it's dried up, it's been too long since
the corn was picked.

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

Of course.

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

Flabby kernels. The thumbnail trick works. Shriveled kernels. Insect
damage.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 6:11:44 PM UTC-4, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:
On 8/14/2019 5:14 PM, micky wrote:
When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

Corn is genetically modified, covered in glyphosate and has a high glycemic index.Â* It's basically a cancer trifecta.Â* Why anyone would eat that **** is beyond me.

Because it's tasty. A few ears of sweet corn a year won't hurt anybody.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/15/2019 12:19 AM, micky wrote:
I've never seen a worm. I've only seen one bad piece of corn that I can
remember, only because the rows were uneven and parts had no kernels,
but what was there was fine.

Also something you don't see is all the chemicals slathered on to kill
the worms...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

When you shop for corn on the cob, do you pull down the husk before you
buy it to look inside?

Do you ever reject corn because it doesn't look good?

What does "not look good" mean? Why would you reject an ear of corn?

Corn in the stool is cool!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 07:57:28 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/15/2019 12:19 AM, micky wrote:
I've never seen a worm. I've only seen one bad piece of corn that I can
remember, only because the rows were uneven and parts had no kernels,
but what was there was fine.

Also something you don't see is all the chemicals slathered on to kill
the worms...

That is the truth. When I was seeing worms in corn it was an old mom
and pop farm where they were not doing a lot of spraying. Back in the
60-70s there were still a lot of ~40 acre farms in PG County. Now that
is all houses, strip malls or garden apartments.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman writes:
Thunderbird/45.6.0

On 08/15/2019 12:19 AM, micky wrote:
I've never seen a worm. I've only seen one bad piece of corn that I can
remember, only because the rows were uneven and parts had no kernels,
but what was there was fine.

Also something you don't see is all the chemicals slathered on to kill
the worms...

Actually, core ear worms have developed resistence to most pesticides. However,
chemical methods do seem to work (e.g. a drop of mineral oil on the ear bud
suffocates them) and integrated pest management (IPM) techniques developed back
in the 80's have also shown good results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/15/2019 12:19 AM, micky wrote:
I've never seen a worm. I've only seen one bad piece of corn that I can
remember, only because the rows were uneven and parts had no kernels,
but what was there was fine.

Also something you don't see is all the chemicals slathered on to kill
the worms...

The biggest advancement against wormy corn has been Genetic
Modification - making the corn resistant to corn borer so chemicals
are less required.

Much of the effective pesticide application is done at the soil level
- "band application" - not sprayed on the plant or "slathered on" AN
example in corn is "Mustang".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/15/2019 12:19 AM, micky wrote:
I've never seen a worm. I've only seen one bad piece of corn that I can
remember, only because the rows were uneven and parts had no kernels,
but what was there was fine.

Also something you don't see is all the chemicals slathered on to kill
the worms...

The biggest advancement against wormy corn has been Genetic
Modification - making the corn resistant to corn borer so chemicals
are less required.

Much of the effective pesticide application is done at the soil level
- "band application" - not sprayed on the plant or "slathered on" AN
example in corn is "Mustang".

BigAg and BigFarmChem thoroughly tested GMOs and farm chemicals so they are totally safe for you.Â* No need to worry.

In fact, it wouldn't hurt to give your dinner a quick spritz of Roundup before serving to make sure you got all the bugs dead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only scumbags look. Do you lick a peach then put it back if not to your liking?
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-08-15 2:35 p.m., Thomas wrote:
Only scumbags look. Do you lick a peach then put it back if not to your liking?

of course
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:35:59 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

Only scumbags look. Do you lick a peach then put it back if not to your liking?

It is probably safer to lick the peach and put it back than to hold it
in your hand and put it back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Roundup doesn't kill bugs, silly rabbit. It does turn shyster lawyers green..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Verner Baumann" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

On 08/15/2019 12:19 AM, micky wrote:
I've never seen a worm. I've only seen one bad piece of corn that I
can
remember, only because the rows were uneven and parts had no kernels,
but what was there was fine.
Also something you don't see is all the chemicals slathered on to kill
the worms...

The biggest advancement against wormy corn has been Genetic
Modification - making the corn resistant to corn borer so chemicals
are less required.

Much of the effective pesticide application is done at the soil level
- "band application" - not sprayed on the plant or "slathered on" AN
example in corn is "Mustang".

BigAg and BigFarmChem thoroughly tested GMOs and farm chemicals so they
are totally safe for you. No need to worry.

In fact, it wouldn't hurt to give your dinner a quick spritz of Roundup
before serving to make sure you got all the bugs dead.

Roundup doesnt kill bugs, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Thomas" wrote

Only scumbags look. Do you lick a peach then put it back if not to your
liking?

Nope, I take a bite out of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:42:40 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Verner Baumann" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Rod and Trader agreeing, yikes the apocalypse is imminent. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:42:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

BigAg and BigFarmChem thoroughly tested GMOs and farm chemicals so they
are totally safe for you. No need to worry.

In fact, it wouldn't hurt to give your dinner a quick spritz of Roundup
before serving to make sure you got all the bugs dead.

Roundup doesn¢t kill bugs, stupid.

Well, give it a try and swallow it, senile vermin!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:49:13 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Only scumbags look. Do you lick a peach then put it back if not to your
liking?

Nope, I take a bite out of it.

Good to see you felt personally addressed when "scumbag" was mentioned,
senile cretin!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:42:40 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Verner Baumann" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Dont worry, just run into your bunker and hide there |-(

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 09:24:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Rod and Trader agreeing, yikes the apocalypse is imminent. ;-)

Don¢t worry, just run into your bunker and hide there |-(

Just shut up and jump back into your roo's pouch that you escaped from,
senile Rodent!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 6:49:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:42:40 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Verner Baumann" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Are you seeing the ads on TV down there too? Ambulance chasing lawyers,
running everything from spot ads to half hour infomercials, looking for
anyone that used Roundup and has cancer? There on every hour here.
Whoever at Bayer decided a year ago to buy Monsanto should get some
kind of award.

These juries just feel sorry for the poor schmuck with cancer. To me
the fact that non-Hodgkins lymphoma rate has not risen in the decades
when Roundup use went through the roof and the fact that studies of
farmers and their families found no elevated rate of any cancer,
strongly suggest those juries didn't know WTF they were doing.
Something like 60K people a year get diagnosed and now the lawyers
are going to claim that every one of those that can point to some
exposure deserves $100 mil. Me, I can't help but think how stupid
you have to be to wind up drenched in Roundup, like the janitor in
that one case claimed happened many times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Roundup/glyphosate has an adverse effect on the human gut biome (aka gut bugs), silly troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 6:26:08 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
On 8/15/19 6:49 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:42:40 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Verner Baumann" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Yup, and they're both wrong, LOL.
Why people want to ingest farm chemicals and suffer the health side effects is beyond me.

I'm happy to suffer the effects. Billions of people saved from starvation, plentiful cheap food, the US the largest food exporter, those are the main "side effects". Back to your cave now, hippie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/19 6:49 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:42:40 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Verner Baumann" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Bartender, pour another round for my friend_4.Â* ;-)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...g-herbicide-p/

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/19 6:49 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:42:40 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Verner Baumann" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

If a McKid at McJunkFoods spit on a customer's McBurger, the customer is liable to punch the McKid in the face...and rightly so.

Why is it that McPeople are so willing to let BigAg dump toxic chemicals all over their food? Is money that tight?